Elizabeth LewisPersonal Development Coach
Educated as a writer and musician, my life changed course when a car accident left me temporarily paralyzed with a serious traumatic brain injury. After three years of intense physical, occupational and speech rehabilitative therapies, my medical team determined it was unlikely I would ever function beyond a sixth grade level again. Although my medical diagnosis was bleak, I chose to draw a future with bright colors. By engaging in the process of art-making and writing, I came to realize that there can be great healing without cure. Art and writing helped transform my sense of loss into one of abundance and gratitude. Ultimately, I came to embrace the gifts, opportunities and purpose presented by my accident and unplanned life.
While giving my first public talk in 2002, I had a sudden realization that I wanted to help others feel the same sense of abundance and gratitude about their lives that I felt about my life. To that end, I pursued a variety of certifications and trainings, including:
- Grief Support Specialist Certification, University of Wisconsin – Madison (to be completed November 2018)
- QPR (QuestionPersuadeRefer Suicide Prevention National Program) Gatekeeper Certification, 2015
- HeartMath Licensed Resilience Advantage Group Trainer, Institute of HeartMath/HeartMath LLC, Boulder Creek, CA 2014
- HeartMath Licensed Coach/Mentor, Institute of HeartMath/ HeartMath LLC, 2010
- Nine Month Self-Mastery Program, Wholistic Psychology and Spiritual Healing Training, The Midewest Institute for Forgiveness Training, Minneapolis, 2012
- Franciscan Studies Certification, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee 2011
- Capacitar Trauma Healing Training, Center to Be, Milwaukee, 2008
- Stress Management Teacher Certification, FeelYourBest Horizon Stress Management program, Milwaukee, 2007
Since 2002, I have presented over 500 workshops, talks, sermons, and educational programs on over 100 subjects at a wide variety of colleges and universities, small businesses and corporations, non-profit organizations, churches, healthcare facilities, spiritual retreat and wellness centers, and more.
As a professional artist, my art works have been exhibited throughout Wisconsin and nationally in museums, galleries and juried shows. Published writings include a chapter in the popular Italian language book Interruptio, poetry, short stories and newspaper and magazine articles.
My work has led me to work extensively with: cancer patients and survivors; people dealing with issues of loss due to death, divorce and illness; military veterans and others suffering from PTSD and trauma-related issues; adults age 60+; children of all ages; life-long learners; and more.
I have a private personal development coaching and spiritual counseling practice in Mequon, Wisconsin. I am available for consultations by phone or skype.